Is this real life?

Is this real life?
Clown town looting your pockets

Monday, October 17, 2011

An Introductory Mind Spew

Yo! I'm DRluck3. I am 23 years old for about a month longer and I play mid and high stakes No Limit primarily on PokerStars. In the last year I've lived in four different cities and three different countries. I'm American, and had settled in Las Vegas, but after Black Friday I was forced out of the county.

Originally, my girlfriend, amy8bug, and I packed up and headed to Vancouver, which was fine, but nothing special in my opinion, and we feared the cold of winter. After the World Series we packed again and flew south to the Dominican Republic, where I currently sit in a chair by the pool writing this post. It is beautiful here, but far from perfect, so in December we plan to move back to Canada. This time we will try Toronto, where hopefully we will brave the cold, and finally have a place to call our temporary home until the US regulates online poker.

I will say now that this first post is going to be kinda spewy and stream of consciousness as I try to spit out a bunch of junk I've been thinking about. I'm writing this primarily because putting my thoughts into words is sort of therapeutic. If one or more of you enjoys it, so be it. However, the coming posts will hopefully be much more organized. I plan to make a post about each of the cities I've lived in, as well as a post summarizing my year once I reach 1 million VPPs and achieve Supernova Elite. This post will definitely include some tips for those of you desiring either to become a professional poker player or make SNE. Now, onto the junk.

At the moment, I am extremely frustrated. I set very high standards for myself and I have been having a very successful year, basically reaching all my goals, and with my final goal of SNE very much in sight, I am on the brink of a great year. Yet, I find myself frustrated with a few things in my poker game of recent. I am currently on an 80k hands BE stretch, which has been extremely rare for me since I became a pro a few years back. I believe that my poor run is causing me to "tilt" and hemorrhage money in spots where I would generally make the correct decision and save money. This obviously exacerbates the problem and lengthens the losing streak. I also think I am beginning to feel a bit burnt out and this is causing me to lose focus and make poorer plays. I think that being burnt out at this stage of the year, when I've pretty much has 9 months to make SNE, is understandable, but I am still frustrated with myself for playing my C and D game far more than my A game. If any of you have any tips for controlling tilt and maintaining focus, I would be very interested to hear them. All in all, I try to keep things in perspective, and I can recognize that I'm having a nice year, but when it comes to my job I am a perfectionist and always striving to do better, crush harder, and make more money.

I think I am struggling a bit too with the fact that I have let my physical fitness slip this year. I was an athlete growing up and through high school. And although I spent a lot of my college time drinking excess amounts of beer, I always managed to keep myself in good physical shape. However, this year, with all the moving around and the complete lack of a workout facility here in Puerto Plata, I have lost probably about 10-15 pounds of muscle, and packed on a nice layer of flab to replace it. This is one of the reasons, along with not having to ride a golf cart to the grocery store, and having more than one restaurant that serves legitimate food, that Amy and I have decided to forgo the beautiful weather here and move to the blistering cold that Canada offers,. I am sure that returning to a less fat and more muscular physique will be one of my goals for 2012.

I've recently been thinking about how we in the poker world tend to judge success, and I'm actually going to write my next post about that, and leave my "city reports" for later. I promise I will be more organized and concise in my next post. I'm also going to be adding pictures at some point in the near future. Take care.

Pat


UPCOMING ENTRIES:

-Success
-Atlanta
-Las Vegas
-Vacouver
-Puerto Plata
-Beer
-Years Summary/Tips for SNE Chasers
-2012 Goals

No comments:

Post a Comment